|RAY AND CHARLES EAMES|
© 2017 Eames Office, LLC (eamesoffice.com)
Here's how it begins:
Charles and Ray Eames, husband and wife, were one of the foremost design teams of the 20th century.
Charles’ background was in architecture. One of his first commissions was St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Helena-West Helena, Arkansas (1934). Architectural Forum published a review, after which well-known Finnish architect Elliel Saarinen offered Eames a fellowship to the Cranbrook Academy of Art in Michigan, where he would eventually head the industrial design department.
That’s where Charles met Ray, whose background was in painting and color. They married in 1941 and moved to Los Angeles. The documentary “Eames: The Architect and the Painter” tells the story.
For years, 901 Washington Boulevard in Venice was the design team’s nerve center. Walking into the Eames Office, one former employee observed, was like walking into a circus: animation stands, photographs spread out on tables, models, a screening room, a woodshop, salt water tanks, all with the je ne sais quoi Eames patina.
The Eames didn’t hold with rigid rules. A design degree wasn’t necessary in order to work for them, but rather imagination, flexibility, intuition, the ability “to think and to see” — and a capacity for incredibly hard work.
“For them, these names like painter and architect, they weren’t job descriptions; they were ways of looking at the world.”
“Life was fun, was work, was fun, was life.”
READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.
|THE EAMES HOUSE, PACIFIC PALISADES CA|