Tuesday, August 15, 2017

"THE HUMAN BODY" AT IMAX




Here's another cultural take: this one on "The Human Body" at the LA Science Center's IMAX Theater. 

The column begins like this:

In these dog days of summer, who doesn’t want to sit in a darkened, air-conditioned theater for an hour? I sure do. Thus I recently found myself at the IMAX down near USC watching “The Human Body.” (Show times are at 10 a.m., 12 p.m., 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. through Sept. 4.)

For those of us drawn to the psalmist’s “You knit me together in my mother’s womb” and who center our lives on the Eucharist, little could compel more than the human body.

(I was also poised to visit “Body Worlds: Pulse” at the adjacent California Science Center, but learned that sponsor/impresario Gunther von Hagen has generated controversy in the Church for his lack of respect for the bodies of the deceased. So I skipped that one.)

Nothing too strenuous: the film’s target audience seems to be 8 to 10-year-old boys. The opening shot is of what looks to be a skin-covered volcano with a hairy opening.

Our bodies are 65 percent water and 22 percent carbon. They contain traces of gold, arsenic and rust. They’re 100 percent unique. If we’re lucky, each of us might live to see a new day begin more than 27,000 times.


READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WELCOME your comments!!!