Wednesday, May 10, 2017

THIS, THAT, AND ROSES



LA's winter rains have brought an insane bounty of spring flowers. Pasadena is known for its roses to begin with, but they are outdoing themselves this year. You'll be driving along and see them cascading off walls, around fountains, over fences.

This "nothing special" stand, trellised along an ordinary office building, capture some of the there-for-the-taking magic.





ROSES,
 HUNTINGTON DRIVE.
SAN MARINO, CA

More news: I've been doing scads of radio interviews and podcasts for my new book which I know you've bought, Holy Desperation.

Last weekend I gave a talk to the Orange County chapter of a Catholic women's organization called Magnificat. I didn't quite understand before meeting them that they are "charismatic" and speak in tongues! So that was a bit of a surprise. The audience was incredibly warm and welcoming I sold lots of books (a turn of events always dear to a writer's heart). And they very generously gave me a hotel room the night before in the hotel where the talk took place. Which was Anaheim, CA.

Anaheim in case you've been asleep all your life ALL ABOUT Disneyland. Harbor Boulevard, the main drag, consists of blocks and blocks and traffic-clogged blocks of high-rise hotels, gas stations and chain restaurants. The Embassy Suites lobby was filled with shrieking, cell-phone clutching teenagers, the girls, to a person, in Mickey Mouse ears.

As soon as I settled in, I nabbed a coffee at the nearest Starbucks (you are never more than 200 yards from one in Anaheim) and set out for a brisk constitutional. Surely there is more to Anaheim than Harbor Boulevard was my thought. Indeed there is. Blocks and blocks and blocks of lower middLe-glass ranch houses, bungalows, pawn shops, liquor stores and gritty strip malls, where I gathered the vast horde of people who provide the labor needed to keep the Disney franchise and its offshoots rolling, live, weep and raise kids.

I saw some lovely old-school courtyards with hibiscus, blooming succulents, and more roses.

Back in my 14th-floor, unimpeded-view hotel room, I threw open the drapes, reclined on the gigantic bed, and basked in the sunset,




SUNSET FROM ROOM 1401,
EMBASSY SUITES-SOUTH, ANAHEIM CA

Today, safe home, I'm writing a piece about Servant of God Demetrius Gallitzen, "Apostle of the Alleghenies." Then I'll head to Rite-Aid for more Flonase, followed by the noon Mass at St. Philip.

STAINED GLASS WINDOW,
VESTIBULE,
ST. PHILIP CHURCH, PASADENA

2 comments:

  1. SO sad about Anaheim. I haven't been there for many years but your depiction is very much my memory. Such a contrast to the roses.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoy your holy, every day posts! <3

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!