Tuesday, February 14, 2017

THE ARTS AND CRAFTS TILE OF ERNEST BATCHELDER



THESE ARE ALL PIX  TAKEN ONE RECENT RAINY DAY
AS I SKULKED ABOUT THE SELFSAME ARROYO REFERRED TO IN THE PIECE

This week's arts and culture column brings us deep into the world of an early 1900's Southern California tile-maker.

Here's how it starts:

The Pasadena Museum of History is featuring an exhibit, extended by popular demand through March 12, called “Batchelder: Tilemaker.”

Ernest A. Batchelder (1875-1957) was an Arts and Crafts tilemaker who lived in Pasadena’s Lower Arroyo Seco and made fountains, fireplaces and fixtures that can still be spotted in craftsman-style bungalows and at various sites throughout the Southern California area and beyond.

The exhibit celebrates the recent donation to the museum by Robert Winter, Ph.D., of a collection of

Batchelder tile and archives. Since 1972, Winter has owned and lived in the house on what is now South Arroyo Boulevard where Batchelder built his first kiln, and where he lived during the years his design and tile business thrived.

Winter, a premier Batchelder expert, curated the exhibit, authored the accompanying book and figures prominently in the 15-minute documentary film that orients museum visitors to Batchelder’s life, importance and work.


READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.


SOMETIMES I JUST CAN'T DECIDE WHICH OF TWO "SIMILAR" PHOTOS
I LIKE BEST! 



HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!
I just went to noon Mass at Our Lady of Sorrows, walked around the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden., and now I'm at Starbucks with the gift card my friend Joan gave me for V-Day. Next I head to the Center for Spiritual Renewal (can you renew something you've never much had to begin with?), which apparently has no wifi or cell reception, for three nights.

I have brought I swear twenty books.

1 comment:

I WELCOME your comments!!!