Monday, January 16, 2017

BEFORE TOTALLY LETTING GO OF CHRISTMAS...

ONE OF MY KITCHEN WINDOWS,
OVERLOOKING A BALCONY
FULL OF PLANTS. RAINING OUTSIDE AND A POT OF SOUP
ON THE STOVE INSIDE. 

THE LIGHT SHINES IN DARKNESS,
AND THE DARKNESS HAS NOT OVERCOME IT.

SIT DOWN AND TELL ME
ALL ABOUT YOURSELF.

Whoa, Advent began early this year. But then we had the Feast of Epiphany, with the star in the East and the wise men on January 8, and the Baptism of Christ, which is usually the next Sunday, the very next day, on a Monday.

And the day after that, we were back to Ordinary Time.

Which all seemed just a tad fast for my taste.

My decorations are down, but it's been deliciously cold, gloomy and rainy in southern Cal, and my apartment has seemed cozier than ever. So before bidding a final adieu to the 2016 Christmas season, I wanted to post these last photos and tell a last story.

After the 5 o'clock Mass on the Feast of the Epiphany, I came home and performed a little ritual.

My (tiny) bathroom has formed itself as a shrine of sorts. I have two sconces high up on either wall, each holding six beautiful beeswax candles, none of which had ever been lit.

So I thought, Well if Epiphany isn't the time to light the candles, no time is. So I got out my little stool, and the Announcement of Easter and the Moveable Feasts, which is likewise very beautiful, and one by one I lit all the candles, which actually took a while, and knelt, and said the prayer, which basically asks a blessing on the coming year, and all the further feasts and celebrations the year will bring.

Then I stood and basked in the light, and as the occasion was so momentous, thought to take a few pictures.

Then I realized the candles were making burn holes in the ceiling and basically melting the paint.

Somehow that exemplifies life, and my approach to it.

I had to blow all the candles out really fast.

But the radiance they threw will last me the whole year.


 


7 comments:

  1. I lit some Advent candles in glass holders inside a ceramic tray and still managed to scorch the top surface of my tall chest of drawers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a funny story. But how cozy! Looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laugh to read the end of the story, and I know I have felt similarly in many efforts towards projects, improvements, etc. in my life. I know that I have become hung up on the obstacle or the nuisance that I've created, and before I know it, I'm left thinking only of the exaggerated thought that I just can't take joy in anything without messing it up or creating more work for myself.

    I love that at the end of this exercise you were still able to bask in the glow and reflect on the radiance of the few minutes of light you enjoyed. And I will remember this and carry it with me for the next time I feel like my efforts are blighted by my oops-moments. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: the forward motion of the liturgical year - yes, it does seem to constantly propel us into tomorrow, neither languishing in darkness nor basking in bliss for too long in any one season. I guess the real basking is for heaven, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Klutzes of the world, unite! If we singe the occasional ceiling, piece of furniture, or our hair, so be it. Basking in the glow, as you all got, is where it's at. Thanks for commiserating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you were able to pray and take pictures before you noticed the destruction happening - it didn't take long for you to get a great blessing, and pass it on to us. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your candelabra- where did you find it!
    I also recently put up a little prayer altar at home.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!