Thursday, November 17, 2016

TO BE UTTERLY UNNOTICEABLE



I've been following along with the daily entries in a book I gather was wildly popular in its day: My Utmost for His Highest by old-timey Protestant guy Oswald Chambers (1874-1917).

The entry for November 16 reads in part,

"We have a tendency to look for wonder in our experience, and we mistake heroic actions for real heroes. It's one thing to go through a crisis grandly yet quite another to go through life glorifying God when there is no witness, no limelight, and no one paying even the remotest attention to us. If we are not looking for halos, we at least want something that will make people say, 'What a wonderful man of prayer he is!' or 'What a great woman of devotion she is!' ...

To be utterly unnoticeable requires God's spirit in us making us absolutely humanly His. The true test of a saint's life is not successfulness but faithfulness on the level of human life."

To be faithful on the level of human life means that, long before a crisis arises, we have pondered the deepest questions of existence. We have already ordered our lives, hearts, bodies, and blood to the poor, the prisoner, the immigrant, the discriminated against, the disenfranchised and all the powerless of the world--never forgetting that, left to our own devices alone, we, too, are powerless

We have one ear perpetually cocked to the Sermon on the Mount. Our routine of prayer, patience, gratitude, creative nonviolence, hope, and the seeking of beauty is in place.

We have a long way to go.
We continue our sowing.


 



5 comments:

  1. Wow, Heather, your yard has come such a long way. Love the veg garden. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Miss Karin! Thank you so much for your loyal readership, comments and support. Yes, the garden has come a long way--my friend Judy tells me it'll be two or three years before the native plants really grow in, so I will get to exercise even more of probably my greatest virtue: patience.

      That's a joke.

      Love to you, Robin and Kai this Christmas

      Delete
  2. I totally have to check him out,reminds me of Mother Teresa a bit.
    Love finding a good inspiring read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the second book, after The King James Bible, my best friend gave me when I was searching for Christ. That would be my Baptist best friend who told me "Remember, you always have your other mother, Mary, to turn to, Terri," when my mother died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Oswald is worth checking out. Very firm on the fact that the reign of love has ALREADY been established...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!