Friday, October 14, 2016

EL ANATSUI AT THE BROAD

DUSASA I
EL ANATSUI
The adventure continues!

This week's arts and culture column is about a field trip I took with some friends to a museum in downtown LA. I wasn't able to describe possibly the best part of the trip, which was our lunch afterward at Grand Central Market.

Anyway, here's how the piece begins:

A few weeks ago, I went on a field trip with some friends to The Broad, the new-ish downtown L.A. museum of contemporary art.

My friends wanted to see an exhibit, since closed, of the photographer Cindy Sherman so I bought a $12 timed-entry ticket, too.

“I am trying to make other people recognize something of themselves rather than me,” says Sherman

Really? Well, how about taking a picture of one of them?

Instead, Sherman has made a career of taking photos of herself in various disguises.

There’s the repulsive clown series, the sexual fantasies series, the silent film star series, the fashion photo series. In each, she presents as vapid, vaguely grotesque and a person with zero inner life.

Why, here’s Cindy looking like a battered woman. Cindy looking like a British matron with a prosthetic nose. Cindy looking like a mental patient wearing a red dress, creepy brown hat and one green glove. What could it mean?

Nothing.


READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I WELCOME your comments!!!