Thursday, October 27, 2016

DIA DE LOS VIVOS


MAGNOIA POD.
YOU CAN FIND THESE DESICCATED OBJECTS LITTERING THE GROUND
IN MY HOOD.
BRING THEM HOME AND IN A FEW DAYS THE SCARLET SEEDS
MAGICALLY APPEAR!

I suddenly realized the other day that ever since I've been writing a weekly arts and culture column, I've had little time to devote to my blog.

Yup, it took that long to notice!

I've had way less time to wander (but with a purpose), toting my trusty camera. I still take lots of walks but I'm usually trying to let my mind lie fallow. My home away from home is the chapel at St. Elizabeth of Hungary. Here, I sit quietly and ponder the mysteries of the universe, or go to a place beyond pondering...

Another project that's taken up much of my "spare time" has been clearing the more or less abandoned lot behind the house where I live preparatory to installing a California native plant garden.

I myself have hauled countless bags of brush and leaves, dug up old river stones from beneath a bank of dusty jade plants and pored endlessly over books of native plants. But my friend Jerry has done the lion's share of hard work and landscaping. He's a native Angeleno: an old-school handyman type guy with a pickup, piles of tools (want a branch whacked off? Jerry will do it. Want a pair of sconces hung in your bathroom? Jerry will do it. Want a beautifully-shaped curved path to the site of a future pergola and three loads of pea gravel to line it? Call Jerry) and a real eye for design, form, and beauty. While meanwhile insisting that since he has no certificate or degree, he has no "talent." We've worked well together (I am paying him, of course), though he tells me I'm "intense."

Me?

I had a bit of a health scare recently but learned yesterday that things are more or less okay and the dire news I feared was not forthcoming.

That makes me very grateful. I kept thinking, "I have to get that garden in!"

And now--with Jerry's help--I will.

AUTUMN COMES TO MY LIVING/DINING ROOM

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WELCOME your comments!!!