Friday, June 3, 2016

THE SPIRITUALITY OF ENOUGH

glory be to God, my sweet peas are up.
huge # of pix to follow

For this week's arts and culture column, I excerpted a passage from my newest book.

Here's how the piece begins:

Some people are attached to being rich. For a long time, I was attached to being poor.

My Yankee upbringing instilled the idea that “doing without” is a sign of high character. Our culture instills the idea that the smart thing to do with money is to stockpile. And the Church instills the idea to give till it hurts.

My new book — “Loaded: Money and the Spirituality of Enough” — is about how I looked at all those ideas in light of the Gospels and came to a healthier, more life-affirming relationship to earning, spending and giving.

Here’s an excerpt:

“In 1987, I got sober. In 1990, with the law degree I’d earned while drinking, I landed a job as an attorney and started making money for the first time in my life. In 1994, I quit that job in order to embark on the precarious vocation of a writer. In 1996, I converted to Catholicism and joined the Church.

“To quit that job as a lawyer was one of the biggest leaps into the unknown, requiring the most heart of my life.

READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE. 


As well, links to some recent interviews/essays.

April 27, 2016: "The Spirituality of Money": A Q and A with Heather King in America Magazine.

May 6, 2016: Addiction as Spiritual Thirst": An interview with The Fix.

May 8, 2016: Podcast with "Fishers of Men": "How to Be Single" [their title, not mine].

May 16, 2016: LOADED: Money and the Spirituality of Enough: An essay for the Catholic News Agency.

May 18, 2016: LOADED: Money and the Spirituality of EnoughA podcast with the Catholic Foodie.

May 31, 2016: "The Gift of Being Brought to Our Knees" : National Catholic Reporter.

2 comments:

  1. It was such a delight to have you on the show, Heather! Such a blessing to chat with you! Thank you for sharing your gifts – for sharing yourself – with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entirely my pleasure. Jeff--thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!