Tuesday, May 17, 2016

BE ALIVE!

CHRYSANTHEMUMS AND YELLOW HORNET
KATSUSHIKA HOKUSAI, 1833-34

IRISES
KATSUSHIKA HOKUSAI

A friend just sent on this link to an article with which I couldn't agree more:
Vatican PR aide warns Catholic blogs create ‘cesspool of hatred.’

Personally I would like to create a fountain of love! 

That is no namby-pamby, hippy-dippy task. To exercise restraint of tongue and pen, to refrain from "setting the other straight," to live from the ground of what we are for rather than what we're against--to  be motivated, in other words, by love rather than fear--requires a life of almost military discipline: physically, mentally, spiritually. 

The reward is that instead of ferreting out enemies, we seek friends. Instead of ugliness, we seek beauty.  Our goal becomes to live in truth ourselves, not to make sure everyone else does. 

"From the age of six I had a mania for drawing the forms of things. By the time I was fifty I had published an infinity of designs; but all I produced before the age of seventy is not worth taking into account. At seventy-three I learned a little about the real structure of nature, of animals, plants, trees, birds, fishes, and insects. In consequence, when I am eighty I shall have made still more progress; at ninety I shall penetrate the mystery of things; at a hundred I shall certainly have reached a marvelous stage; and when I am a hundred and ten everything I do, be it a dot or a line, will be alive. I beg those who live as long as I do to see if I do not keep my word."

--Kathsushika Hokusai, Japanese artist








 A BUNCH OF PEONIES ON THEIR WAY OUT,
BUT STILL SO FULLY ALIVE!


1 comment:

  1. then glut thy sorrow on a morning rose,
    or on the rainbow of the salt-sand wave,
    or on the wealth of globèd peonies

    john keats, ode on melancholy

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!