Sunday, March 20, 2016

DANA GIOIA: CALIFORNIA'S NEW POET LAUREATE




California has a new poet laureate. Here's how this week's arts and culture piece begins:

Dana Gioia, California’s new poet laureate, was born to a working-class family and raised in L.A.’s South Bay. “I love California. It’s my place. I think writers are strongest when they are rooted in a specific place.”

He feels the same way about Catholicism. “The particular richness of the Catholic imagination is to be joyfully alert to the beauties of creation, while conscious of another level of reality behind it,” he said.

“I consider myself a pew-level Catholic. For me the connection I have to everyone in the parish is one of the essential gifts of the Church. It makes me remember that no one exists in isolation. The Catholic Church does not need their writers pretending that they’re members of the curia.”


READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this column. I'm not as familiar with Dana Gioia's work as I am with that of other contemporary poets, but I have of course heard of him, and congratulate him (if he's reading this!) on his laureateship!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!