Sunday, February 14, 2016

THE RELIGIOUS EDUCATION CONGRESS AND BRENDA UELAND'S IF YOU WANT TO WRITE



BRENDA UELAND (1891-1985)
"The point is not to live long...we live forever anyway. The point is while you are alive, be alive!"


This week's arts and culture features one of my all-time favorite texts: the Brenda Ueland classic If You Want to Write. [WHY do they give us writers such terrible book covers!!?]

Here's how it begins:

"I am tickled pink to be giving a talk at this year’s Religious Education Congress (Feb. 26-28) on “The Vocation of the Catholic Writer.”

As you may know, the Congress is a lollapalooza of an affair that takes place each early spring at the Anaheim Convention Center. The place is crawling with Catholic publishers, editors, priests, nuns and layfolk shopping for rosaries, Jesus tchotchkes and a chance to hear such luminaries as Father Ron Rolheiser, Auxiliary Bishop Robert E. Barron and Sister Helen Prejean dispense their wisdom.

It is no place for an introvert and just navigating the parking structure makes me want to lie down for four or five hours.

It is also a huge honor. I’m devoting a certain amount of time to working up my remarks, and again and again I circle back to this column, which, if you must know, is kind of the joy of my life."

READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE. 

1 comment:

  1. I love the paragraph:

    To be imbued with a sense of mystery, excitement, possibility; to search ceaselessly for order, beauty, truth; to see the god and the poet in one another. Is this not what it means, in the deepest sense, to be Catholic?

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!