Thursday, February 25, 2016

THE FORCE THAT THROUGH THE GREEN FUSE DRIVES THE FLOWER



"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
--Cicerto 



My vegetable and flower seeds are up! I go out many times a day to check on their progress.
I have no real idea what I'm doing, but gardening friends will help. Venturing into an area about which I know so little makes me feel quite vulnerable. What will happen if I "fail!" Will the plants think I'm lame and make fun of me?

Of course I've read up a bit, and I have purchased the Sunset Western Gardening Book, but my sense is that gardening is like cooking: you simply have to venture forth, and get a feel, and make mistakes and have triumphs and that is how you learn.

It's difficult to describe the rush of hope, exhilaration and excitement that comes from planting a seed and seeing a single green shoot poking its head above ground.

Dylan Thomas wrote:

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower 
Drives my green age; that blasts the roots of trees 
Is my destroyer"...

But it's spring and I'm going to choose at the moment to focus on the flower.









I bought this red kale as seedlings, which is they're so big compared to
the others. 




Our back yard has lemon, cherry, persimmon, pomegranate, olive, avocado and black walnut trees, plus a huge wild stand of rosemary.

The cherry trees are just coming into bloom.



3 comments:

  1. Isn't it exciting! Good luck on this new adventure. And keep in mind that even experienced gardeners have failures; gardening is a good way to work on our equanimity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Heather. I live in a tropical country, and I believe it's the first time I see such beautiful cherry trees coming into bloom. You have found such an interesting activity. Good luck. Antonio, RJ - Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful-amen to green shoots! I kept an allotment for a few years and found it one of the hardest and most wonderful things I've done. Growing things helped me learn a lot about myself and God too-his mysterious ways! Just keep on keeping on was my motto. God bless your co-creation efforts.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!