Monday, February 1, 2016

RON ROLHEISER ON MY BOOK SHIRT OF FLAME: A YEAR WITH ST. THÉRÈSE OF LISIEUX



THE MYSTERY OF CARS AT NIGHT
JUST EAST OF N. LAKE AVE,
ALTADENA, CA


This morning I received an email from a friend reporting that Fr. Ron Rolheiser, whose writings on our holy longing/restless hearts have immeasurably consoled and sustained me, has devoted his most recent column to my book SHIRT OF FLAME: A YEAR WITH ST. THÉRÈSE OF LISIEUX.

Though my blog receives about two page views a day and his I'm sure two million, I'll refrain from posting the piece in full and direct you to his site. It will also appear in his WORLD-WIDE SYNDICATED COLUMN next week.

The piece begins:

They say that the book you most need to read finds you when you most need to read it. I’ve had that experience many times, most recently with Heather King’s book, Shirt of Flame, A Year with Saint Therese of Lisieux.

The title of the book is borrowed from T. S. Eliot’s, Four Quartets, where he famously suggests that Love itself, God, is behind the torment we often feel in our fiery desires and that the burning we feel there is an “intolerable shirt of flame.”

King writes this book from a fiery context within her own life: She is a free-lance journalist and writer, single, divorced, an alcoholic in recovery, reconciling some darkness in her past, dealing with a paralyzing obsession because the man she is in love with will not respond to her, risking the financial stability of a career in law for the insecurity of being a free-lance writer, and struggling with the sense of being an outsider to normal family, marriage, and community, an orphan at all the banquets of life. And so she sets off for a year to immerse herself in one of the most intriguing saints of all time, Therese of Lisieux, in an attempt is to see whether Therese might be a moral and spiritual compass by which to sort out her own life. The result is a powerful, deeply insightful, adult, book.

Me, adult? There MUST be a God!

A thousand thanks to Fr. Rolheiser for taking the time and effort to give my humble offering a deep read.

READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.


ST. ELIZABETH OF HUNGARY
ALTADENA, CA

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful, to get the warmly appreciative recognition that every writer hopes for, and from a writer who himself is prominent! (On Fr Rolheiser's recommendation, I may have to re-read Shirt of Flame!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful, well-deserved, review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thrilled for you, Heather! I have to say that I have been immersing myself in *your* books the last several weeks. I am currently alternating between Parched and Shirt of Flame. Both are powerful for me for different reasons. Both resonate strongly. Redeemed and Stumble are next in line. You have a strong voice and a keen insight into our shared human experience. At some point, I would love to have you join me on The Catholic Foodie Show. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, thank you! I have a book coming out later this year or early next: FAMISHED: A Food Memoir. So glad you've warmed to my work.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy for the recognition of your writing. I so appreciated "Shirt of Flame...," as I have your other books. I've recommended them and loaned mine out to family members. Your writing is such a gift to your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Babs. I love when people lend family members my books--that's a high form of compliment!

      Delete
  5. Congrats, Heather! Well deserved.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, Gehrs, and for your readership.

      Delete
  6. Retired Bishop Ryan of Monterey, an inveterate reader like myself, got two copies after the RR rave and a trip to your blog. Big hugs, Fr P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Retired Bishop Ryan of Monterey, an inveterate reader like myself, got two copies after the RR rave and a trip to your blog. Big hugs, Fr P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless Bishop Ryan and bless you, Fr. P!!

      Delete

I WELCOME your comments!!!