Saturday, January 9, 2016

FELICIA, JOHNNY AND SOREN: AN ADOPTION STORY



Part of the fun of writing an arts and culture column is the opportunity to celebrate people I love.

This week's story, about a couple from LA who adopted a kid from deep Appalachia, is a case in point.

It begins:

Johnny Goraj is a singer-songwriter. His wife Felicia is a pediatric nurse.

They met at Children’s Hospital in L.A., where John was working as a trauma tech.

“We somehow saw each other as human beings rather than through a veil of lust or obsession,” Johnny says. Felicia continues, “I saw his spirit and he saw mine. Even though we had a 10-year age gap, I thought, ‘This person is full of love and someone I want to be around.’ “

Felicia had been raised Protestant. Johnny’s a cradle Catholic. Almost from the time they met until they got married, they went to Mass together every Sunday.

“I was always drawn to working with kids, but marriage and children had never been on my radar,” says Felicia. “Not until I met Johnny did I trust anyone enough to make that commitment, to enter into the sacrament, to raise a child together. That was miraculous to me. That was a conversion.”


READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.


one incarnation of
THE HOLY FAMILY

2 comments:

  1. Look at those three faces! Their smiles radiate joy and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece, beautiful people

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!