Friday, December 4, 2015

THE LITTLE SISTERS OF THE POOR


The field trips continue!

This time I traveled to a land far, far away for those of us who live on the East side of L.A.: San Pedro, hard by the Pacific and a 25-mile drive, where I visited with the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Here's how the piece starts:

In 1839, Jeanne Jugan opened her home to an elderly blind woman in France. The order known as the Little Sisters of the Poor was born.

In 1905, the Little Sisters opened a home in L.A.: St. Ann’s in Boyle Heights. When St. Ann’s was threatened with closure due to expanded fire safety requirements, the sisters began praying to St. Joseph for a new place.

Soon after the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, under Cardinal Manning, gave the sisters a chunk of land in San Pedro, high on a bluff overlooking the Pacific.

And in 1979, the Jeanne Jugan Residence opened. Currently, the home boasts nine sisters,110 residents and three levels of care: independent living, assisted care and skilled nursing. The requirements are simple: you have to be 65 or older, and with few financial resources.

Following a recent 11 a.m. weekday Mass in their chapel, three of the sisters shared what the work means to them.


READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.


I find the older I get,
 the more I'm drawn to make friends with people
who care for the sick and the dying...


1 comment:

  1. Hi Heather, I adore the Little Sisters of the Poor! My family has been involved with them for years, starting when my oldest would do volunteer work there. My in laws are fortunate to live with the nuns in Indianapolis, (they were on a waiting list for a year) Indiana at St Augustine's. The place is truly heaven on earth, and the nuns are angels! We are so blessed...
    Love ya,
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!