Tuesday, October 20, 2015

THE SYNOD ON THE FAMILY


MY LITTLE BROTHER JOE
OF HIS PUNK BAND, THE QUEERS
I HEART FAMILY!


Here's the opening of the piece I worked up on the Synod on the Family that's taking place in Rome.

“What good is it to light a little candle in the darkness?” Pope Francis asked at a prayer vigil to open the Synod on the Family. “Isn’t there a better way to dispel the darkness? Can the darkness even be overcome?”

I thought of a friend back in L.A. who, just before I’d left for Rome, had observed, “The pope is great. If he could just get on board with women and birth control and marriage …”

I didn’t have the energy to explain, one more time, that Catholicism is not a “progressive” social program or a political platform. It’s a stance toward reality.


READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.


1 comment:

  1. I'm really curious to know what else the pope said……I'll have to try and find it.
    He is so real!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!