Tuesday, October 27, 2015

LEWIS HYDE'S THE GIFT






The coming month is going to be devoted to the search for an apartment.

I've been living as a gypsy for almost a year now--not because I'm broke, but at least partly because I've been so busy and had so much travel that I haven't had the sustained time to look for a beautiful, comfortable place.

If you know of a bougainvillea-draped guest house or bungalow that is quiet, hardwood floors, crown moldings, hand-painted tile, washer and dryer, space for my bromeliad and succulent collection that is in the Silver Lake/Echo Park/Atwater Village/Los Feliz/South Pasadena area of LA, please do let me know!

I used to live in an apartment that fit that description, but it was in Koreatown and at this point I am way too old for K'town.

In fact, once I find a place, my hope is to stay there till the time comes to ship me off to the old people's home.

"As the bearer of the empty place, the religious mendicant has an active duty beyond his supplication. He is the vehicle of that fluidity which is abundance. The wealth of the group touches his bowl at all sides, as if it were the center of a wheel where the spokes meet. The gift gathers there, and the mendicant gives it away again when he meets someone who is empty."

--Lewis Hyde, The Gift: Creativity and the Artist in the Modern World


NEAR CHEREMOYA AND FOOTHILL DRIVE,
BRONSON CANYON





2 comments:

  1. May your apartment-search be blessed and fortunate!

    I love that phrasing: "the vehicle of that fluidity which is abundance."

    Oremus pro invicem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a large room draped in Wistaria not Bougainvillea but it may a tad far to commute ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!