Saturday, August 29, 2015

BIRD L.A.: A WALK IN EATON CANYON



The subject of this week's arts and culture column is a pratfall of a bird walk I took recently in Pasadena.

I had a blast anyway.

It begins like this:

"Last week I took a bird walk I learned of from the organization Bird LA in conjunction with Pasadena Audubon. Both have a field trip calendar and a website.

I am second to none in my emotional response to birdsong, though my identification skills leave something to be desired. If the leader was any indication, birdwatchers are a laconic lot, not given to poetic effusions about their hobby.

One introductory exchange ran:

“So were you raised in Pasadena?”

“No.”

I soon learned that August is the absolute slowest, i.e. worst, month for bird watching. (May is the best month for migrants going north). In addition, we were in the middle of an epic drought and a Southern California heat wave. And on Sundays, Eaton Canyon is overrun with people.

This is just the type of thing I love, for about an hour. We tramped through the brush: seven heads covered with sensible hats against the blazing sun, then me"...

READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pic (California Quail). I get an error 404 when I click on "read the whole piece here".

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!