Tuesday, June 23, 2015

COLOR IS A DEGREE OF DARKNESS



"Colors are the deeds and suffering of light."
--Goethe




Even though it's 115 degrees and I mean pretty much day and night, I am loving my time out here In Palm Springs. I don't have to talk to anyone hardly all day, and every day is full. 

Uninterrupted time for work is heaven, plus it is QUIET. I creep out to 7:30 am Mass which is in the Our Lady of Solitude parish hall in the summer and is peopled by about 20 people, 18 of whom regard me suspiciously, and the other two of whom appear to have Asperger's or be homeless. Again, love this. Being among people but not having to talk or interact with them is the introvert's dream. 

My main excitement is grapefruit foraging. Citrus season is past but the trees about the grounds of "my" condo complex are still bearing the occasional fruit which, when over-ripe and/or overcome by the punishingly hot sun, splat obligingly to the sidewalk. They are good eating--unbelievably sweet--and on my daily foray to the mailbox (another high point), I am constantly but constantly endeavoring to spot a stray or two, which I then ferry back at an accelerated rate of speed to my pad. 

After writing, playing the piano, answering email and phone calls, puttering, and cleaning up my person and general environs, I take a walk each day at about 5:30.

It is still insanely hot and I carry a big plastic container of what starts out as ice cubes and quickly transforms to warm water. Sometimes I walk to the "Wellness Park" on Tachevah, hard by "The Movie Colony." Sometimes I drive to Old Las Palmas and meander among the grand old Palm Springs Spanish Mediterraneans. And sometimes I troll the suburban streets north of Racquet Club Road between Palm Canyon and Indian Canyon. Whichever route I choose, it's devoid of pedestrians (and even mostly of cars) as without water a person would die within about five minutes' exposure to the sun.

I attend many meetings for people with alcoholism and many other meetings whose families have been affected by alcoholism, and a good thing, too, as not to put too fine a point on it, without them I would LOSE MY MIND. 

Many of these take place in an Episcopal church outbuilding "cooled" by a wan rotating fan. In attendance last night were several sweaty gay men, a woman I'll call Geena who looks like Olive Oyl and incessantly whines about her husband (they are recently separated and I can see why), and one late middle-aged woman in rolled-up jeans and a muscle shirt stained with SPF 50 who alternately rolls her eyes and cries (that would be me). 

There is much MUCH more. A woman with ENORMOUS breasts (on full display), a rhinestone cowboy hat, and bright orange lipstick, for example, who I came across in the course of my travels the other day. She was wheeling a baby stroller and though on the far side of 60 did not look like the grandmotherly type if you know what I mean. 

So I looked inside and there, sitting regally on a satin pillow, was a miniature white poodle with a sassy pink bow behind its ear. I cast around for something to say that wasn't insincere and settled on, "I love that you have your dog in a baby stroller." "Yes," the woman replied tenderly, gazing down a thrilling expanse of bare bust to her charge. "Baby has a bad back."

Wimbledon starts June 26. The guy whose condo I'm staying at has ESPN. 





PIX OF THE CONCAVE SKYLIGHT
SET INTO THE LIVING ROOM CEILING
OF THE CONDO WHERE I'M STAYING.
TAKEN AT APPROX. 6 a.m., 

A FEW DAYS BEFORE THE SUMMER SOLSTICE

“Color itself is a degree of darkness.”
--Goethe

4 comments:

  1. wonderful stuff Heather....
    i cant believe the heat you are having and I bet you cant believe the cool June we are having to tolerate here in clouded Yorkshire ! It is mostly about 12 degrees here !
    My work in the psychiatric hospital sounds a little like your days...I cant work with ordinary folks. We have a prayer labyrinth on the hospital grounds which is very quiet. I love to retreat there for a break and be on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing so hard. "That would be me.".....ahahahaha.

    You are truly adorable. And I'm so happy you are getting good soul time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "mystery, smarts, laughs"....thanks for the laughs! Blessings to you, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the heat, a few minutes spent with you is as refreshing as downing a tall cool one! Love your quick snapshots- both photos and words. This time a belly laugh, to boot....THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!