Friday, June 26, 2015

BABY FAT: BEN WEASEL'S OPERA


One of the prides of my life is my little brother Joe, whose punk band, The Queers, has been going strong for decades.

Through him, I met his friend Ben Weasel (stage name) of Screeching Weasel, another punk band with a rabidly devoted following.

Several years ago I became godmother to his twin daughters. Since then, he and his wife have also had a son.

Ben's a Catholic convert.
He's a stay-at-home father to his three kids.
And over the course of the last several years, he's also written a rock opera, the first half of which is called "Baby Fat: Act One."

In conjunction with the release of the CD on May 26, Ben gave this interview to the Italian webzine Tempi.

Ben thrives on being provocative. Don't let it deprive you of a really good read, a fresh examination on the father-daughter relationship, and a thoughtful take on incorporating our faith into our work, whatever the work might consist of.

Here's an excerpt:

"I think that fifty years ago or a hundred years ago the sin of pride was understood a lot better than it is now. Now if we say pride we just think that somebody is arrogant. I think the real meaning is different. You can find it for example in The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene, in which, at the and of the novel, Scobie commits this ultimate sin of suicide because he just decides that God can’t save him. It’s sort of a self-pitying attitude. He wants to be saved, but God cannot save him.

That’s the kind of pride that I was interested in, the kind that causes a lot of people today to say, as they find out that you are religious: "Oh, I wish I could be religious too, I just can’t." The implication is: I’m just too smart for religion, I wish I could just be an idiot like you, and believe in God, because it would be so comforting… But it’s the exact opposite of the truth. Religion is not about comfort, actually it is supposed to make you very uncomfortable."



Right on, brother.



3 comments:

  1. Well, this news made my day, dear H. May Ben's tribe increase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something almost Dante-esque about this. Exile and conversion coming before massive creative output inspired by another artist from centuries past...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!