Saturday, May 30, 2015

THE MOUNT WILSON OBSERVATORY AND THE BIG BANG THEORY


PAINTING BY J.M.W. TURNER (THAT WAS ANOTHER FIELD TRIP)
OR HUBBLE TELESCOPE PHOTO?

Nothing delights me more than a good field trip.

This week's arts and culture piece is about a jaunt to L.A'.s Mt. Wilson where, as you may know, discoveries were made that led to the realization that the universe is expanding and the formulation of the Big Bang theory.

Fear contracts, love expands. Draw your own conclusion.

The piece starts:

"A couple of weeks ago, on a Thursday, I took a field trip to Mount Wilson, the 5,710-foot peak northeast of L.A.

You need a five-buck adventure pass to park at the observatory, so I picked one up at the Shell station just off the 210, then drove 20 miles from La Cañada on the picturesque Angeles Crest Highway.

On the way I listened to Bach trios and admired the clumps of butter-yellow Scotch broom. Then I turned off on Mount Wilson Road and drove another five winding, increasingly beautiful miles. A vista of violet mountains and deep green gorges opened round one bend. I pulled off and, having brought my breviary, said a Morning Prayer with the sage and the squirrels."

READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WELCOME your comments!!!