Friday, May 15, 2015

LOVE ONE ANOTHER--AND KEEP PAINTING

ST. DAMIEN by
MATTHEW KIRBY

You folks bowl me over, just in case you don't know.

I've been jammed with work these past several months: a new book, galleys for another book coming out in the fall, a new roster of "Credible Witnesses" for next year's monthly Magnificat column, an unexpected request of ten profiles for a Magnificat Year of Mercy collection for 2016, a couple of manuscripts I've been editing for others, a weekly arts and culture column which often requires a field trip; or driving across town, interviewing someone, transcribing the tape, and then shaping it down to an 800-word piece...

I'm generally very careful not to be "busy" in the sense of hardly a free moment (as opposed to intensely focused, in the sense of a conscious, intentional use of time that nonetheless allows for many hours that are not strictly scheduled or "owed" to others).

Given my druthers, I would probably spend many hours a day writing blog posts as the spirit moved. I've had many thoughts lately that have to do with time: time as in how I schedule the hours of my day, time as in life as hidden sacrifice, time as in mortality and eternity.

For now, they will have to wait, as I need to write a piece on Blessed Franz Jägerstätter.

But I can at least share this amazing painting by Matthew Kirby of Brooklyn, who sent it on after reading a recent post on St. Damien and the lepers. He writes: "It was supposed to be for these dinners for people with AIDS, but a priest said if I gave it to them they'd just stick it in a closet and forget about it. So he took it with the intention of brokering a sale. I'm sure it's now in a closet somewhere, which is perfect."

Talk about a life of hidden sacrifice! (Matthew, I mean (who is also a husband and father), not St. Damien, though of course him, too). Such beauty, such depth, such heart. [Check out more of Matthew's work here and here].

I can't always respond to the emails I receive as fully as I'd like. But I've never been more aware that as St. Ignatius of Loyola observed: "Love is an exchange of gifts."

Thank you for all you give me. I would perish without it.

10 comments:

  1. I've been jammed with work these past several months: a new book, galleys for another book coming out in the fall, a new roster of "Credible Witnesses" for next year's monthly Magnificat column, an unexpected request of ten profiles for a Magnificat Year of Mercy collection for 2016, a couple of manuscripts I've been editing for others, a weekly arts and culture column which often requires a field trip; or driving across town, interviewing someone, transcribing the tape, and then shaping it down to an 800-word piece...

    Good to see you are still consistent. Still the center of your very small universe lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, if your comment is serious in it's intent to hurt, you have serious problems. May God forgive you and grant you the life you so desperately need ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for introducing us to Matthew Kirby. And may God bless all that you're about for His kingdom, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know if it makes sense but I believe St Damien had iron in his soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, I'm so glad you are "jammed with work". I love all you write, your thoughts and feelings. Thank you for sharing your talent with us. Your work is a blessing for me and my own very small fortunate universe. Love, G from Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That allowance for many hours not "owed" to others has always resonated with me, ever since reading Thoreau mention in "Walden" his desire for a "broad margin" to life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kirby's work is terrific. Your writing on St. Damien is terrific.

    I thank you for your writing and practical mysticism - God bless you.

    And congrats on your 28 year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you agree--Matthew's work is amazing. Fyi, he'll be featured, along with other artists, on the upcoming Sonya Arts Walk in Brooklyn, May 30 and 31st: http://www.sonyaonline.org/news/artwalk-map-link

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!