Thursday, April 16, 2015

WABI-SABI CABIN



I first learned of "wabi-sabi" from a dear woman named Pat Arndt who, several years ago, gave me a book on the subject.

From wikipedia: "Wabi-sabi (侘寂?) represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is 'imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete.' "

Aside from the fact is there any other kind, I am staying for two nights in what's billed as a wabi-sabi cabin in the lovely Southern California foothill town of Ojai.

The clawfoot tub, shower and toilet are in a separate small building! It was fun going out there about ten times last night: looking at the stars, smelling the cedar, tripping over the lintel.

After I finish this post, edit a set of galleys, finish my weekly arts and culture column (which involved transcribing a tape), respond to my emails and answer my phone calls, I hope to 'relax' this afternoon with a brisk hike into the mountains!

Friday I drive a couple of hours further up the coast to "my people" at the Guadalupe Catholic Worker.

But today, I'm communing with the birds.

"[W]e are not judged by what we are basically. We are judged by how hard we use what we have been given. Success means nothing to the Lord, nor gracefulness."

--Flannery O'Connor, from a letter to “A,” November 22, 1958






THE OUTHOUSE
WITH A COFFEEMAKER AND WIFI SIGNAL, I COULD LIVE IN THERE

MORNING LIGHT O'ER THE GLADE

2 comments:

  1. All benedictions and happy greetings to the CW folk, and to the birds of Ojai!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahww, it looks like you had such a delightful stay!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!