Thursday, March 19, 2015

TRUE ENCOUNTER


Tatiana asks
“What do you desire?”
“Nothing.”
Response of an old Jewish woman
survivor of the Holocaust.
A terrible story.
But, how could one desire nothing?

‘What is your greatest desire?”
“Just to die.”
Tatiana still could not believe it.
Finally, “I have a desire…
but it is only a fantasy.
Only one person ever loved me,
my mother.
I no longer remember her face, only a silhouette.
I would give everything to be able to see her face.”

Tatiana asks
“Do you have a memory of her?”
“One day she gave me some little boots,
of white felt, that she had made.”
“How did she give them to you?”
“In the morning, she woke me up and she gave them to me.”
“Did she have you put them on?”
“Yes, she had me sit in a chair, she slipped them on my feet.”

“But how was she positioned…kneeling?”
“Yes, but what absurd questions you ask!
Anyway, yes, she was kneeling, to put them on me,
and she asked me if they fit…”

Suddenly, silence.
“Oh, Lord, I see my mother’s face.”



The most important question of all…
what is true encounter?


--adapted from an interview, Tatiana Caika, philosopher at Kiev Academy of Science
related by Aleksander Filonenko, Orthodox theologian

--sent by Scott Eagan of Madonna House in Combermere, Ontario

I SAW THIS RAINBOW OVER THE MT. JACINTO RANGE THE OTHER AFTERNOON.
IT WASN'T RAINING! 

Off to Seattle tomorrow for a week. Have never been. Excited.

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting coincidence - my husband and I have been thinking of taking a drive to Combermere, it's only a couple of hours from us. We were just looking at the website for Madonna House a few days ago. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not often a poem (if that is what it was) brings a stab of tears. What is true encounter - I do not know. What brings the poignancy so strongly in this story is that only one person ever loved her - and then she saw her face Years later! In that chance interview. Wow. It hits you, and you do not even understand fully why. That's the power of words.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!