Wednesday, February 25, 2015

DUSK AND DATELINE BOSTON

ST. MARGARET MARY

Here's a poem, recently sent by a reader, apropos of answering our call before IT IS TOO LATE.


DUSK

Evening, and all the birds
In a chorus of shimmering sound
Are easing their hearts of joy
For miles around.

The air is blue and sweet,
The few first stars are white,--
Oh let me like the birds
Sing before the night.

-Sara Teasdale


Just in case anyone's reading from the Boston area, I'll be giving a series of three talks on Lent at St. Margaret Mary in Westwood, Massaschusetts, starting Sunday night March 1 through Tuesday night, March 3. The parishioners of nearby St. Denis are also in on the fun, and so can you be!

St. Margaret Mary Alocoque was apparently a cutter who, not to put too fine a point on it, carved the name of Jesus Christ on her chest. My kind of gal. I look forward to learning more about her.

And of course I'm excited to be going back to my old hometown--under very different circumstances than those that held for most of the time I lived there.

THE DOORWAY OF THE "LOFT" WHERE I LIVED
FOR SEVERAL YEARS DURING "LOS ANOS OBSCUROS"

8 comments:

  1. Lovely poem! Not sure why when I comment it posts twice?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem! Not sure why when I comment it posts twice?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am, of course, reading from the Boston area! I'll call the parish to find out the times of your talks. And maybe my dear friend Heather F can drive me from the nearest T station.

    But in case I don't show ... break a (figurative) leg! (It might be a literal leg if our Massachusetts pathways are still icy. The high temps, though, are supposed to be above freezing Sunday through Tuesday.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often find your blog valuable to read and thank you for writing. That said, I find your reference to St. Margaret Mary as a "cutter" strange (I have no devotion to her, by the way). When you inject something strange like that, would you link it to your source? I find it distracts me from listening to God through your writing when it seems as gossip.

    Peace and Good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "something strange"-- you mean something human? I guess it is an approach to our idiosyncrasies... When I read something like that it is a relief--like thank God that she could be used to point the way. I find hearing about someone's struggles and wounds to be far from distracting. It gives me courage to struggle with mine, to feel a little less alone, a little less hopelessly warped. I am not saying that we should make up crap about people to make them more relatable, but to paint anyone without their scars, pock marks, and deformities is to induce despair in those of us carry those marks. Anyway, my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, no I meant that an attribution of "cutter", a modern term that has much baggage, to a 17th century nun is strange since it carries much meaning. and implies a great deal (even if she did carve the name of Jesus on her chest) and ask both for caution in using anachronistic terms as well as providing a reference, that's all. I, too, prefer the rugged reality rather than the glossy haze when telling the story of someone's life. However, it is important to be accurate as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Google St. Margaret Mary and lacerated flesh. She inflicted severe and appalling quote unquote corporal mortifications on herself to the point that she was bedridden for four years as a child. Getting "accurate" information about the mortifications of saints is next to impossible but from the several descriptions you can readily research yourself, cutter is, if anything, probably too mild a term

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post. Careful though: you need to put a tilde (~) over that N, because AÑOS and ANOS are two very different things.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!