Saturday, January 10, 2015

MY HAPPY NEW YEAR LOVE LETTER TO THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES


My arts and culture column this week is a love letter to my adopted city. January 1st, 2015, marked twenty-five years to the day since I moved here.

The piece begins:

"I grew up in New Hampshire, and in all my most vivid childhood memories, I am shivering. For the better part of the year, I waited for the school bus in weather so cold my teeth ached, stood hunched against frigid winds at recess and came home to a mother who considered it perfectly normal for citizens of the 20th century to inhabit a house the temperature of an igloo.

At night, I climbed between sheets that felt as if they'd been stored in a refrigerator and, in the morning, woke to a room whose air had the raw bite of the tundra. One fairy tale character in particular had a devastating hold on my psyche: Hans Christian Andersen’s Little Match Girl, the gentle street urchin who froze to death on New Year's Eve."

READ THE REST HERE. 

Fyi, the essay will be included in my newest book, STUMBLE: Virtue, Vice and the Space Between, forthcoming in March from Franciscan Media.    



2 comments:

  1. It was a happy day for me when you moved here, Heather, though I wouldn't meet you for many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Southern California when I visited, now 26 years ago and counting. Redondo, Hermosa, Santa Monica. Almost like a holy litany! The weather was, fortunately, an un-torrid upper 70s with a wee bit of a chill at night!

    Speaking of chill, my fair Boston just recorded a minus-one for the first time in several years. I imagine, Heather, that this datum does not instill in you any great nostalgia for the Northeast! (Place appropriate emoticon here!)

    I'd love to see Los Angeles again -- perhaps when my ship comes in!

    I enoyed this essay, and look forward to Stumble with the expectant expectation of the Psalmist!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!