Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A NEW BOOK, A TRIP TO HONDURAS, AND MORE

BE THE FIRST ON YOUR BLOCK TO OWN A COPY!
ORDER HERE. 


My newest book, out March 6, 2015, is available for pre-order on amazon. STUMBLE is a collection of essays about the mad search for beauty, our anguished human hearts, my own personal attempt to navigate the world with an abandonment-wound-scarred psyche, and the glory of L.A.'s hibiscus bushes, 99-cent stores, Catholic churches and public libraries.

My 2015 trips include but are not limited to a Lenten mission outside Boston; a women's retreat, followed by a private week in Seattle; Rome in October; and from February 8 to the 15th, Honduras. That's right: the country with the world's #1 homicide rate, I will be there for Valentine's Day. (Here's an article about how the United States has had a huge hand in fostering, creating the conditions allowing, and committing much of the violence).

This will be courtesy of what sounds like a stellar organization: Unbound, which hooks up sponsors with children, the elderly and young adults throughout the world.

In light of my extreme introversion, as soon as the invite came through I called the woman at Unbound right up. These were my questions:

"Can I have my own room?"
"Does it have wifi?"
"Will there be time during the day when we can be by ourselves?"

After hanging up, I thought, Shoot, I forgot to ask about the coffee situation.

As my friend Christine said, "Heather, they produce coffee in Honduras."

At which point I thought, I can do anything for a week and signed right on.


HIPSTER "GASTROPUB" IN MY HIPSTER NEIGHBORHOOD
OF SILVER LAKE, L.A.
MAYBE I WILL EAT THERE ONE DAY--
BUT PROBABLY NOT.

10 comments:

  1. A "gastropub" sounds painful!

    But STUMBLE sounds wonderful, and yes, I may just have to pre-order!

    Here's to Honduran coffee, and to the O Antiphons, which begin this evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it took me several years as a convert to realize the beauty of the O antiphons, that they are special, that they begin on the 17th (when the Antiphon for Morning Prayer changes as well, to "The Lord is close at hand; come, let us worship him"). It's all ridiculously exciting, esp. for those of us who wake EARLY and greet the Advent (and most other days) in the dark...Bless you, Tom, and thank you.

      Delete
  2. Just placed my pre-order. Can't wait!
    Have a blessed Christmas, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kevin, thank you so much. I am really looking forward to this book--will be in Boston next early March and will film a series of "blinks" (short videos) for CatholicTV with excerpts or related material from it. Wishing you a merry and love-filled Christmas...

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to your new book and the women's retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic, Kathleen, I will see you in Seattle--Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  6. Unbound is an awesome organization. I've been a sponsor through them since the late 90's when they were called CFCA for Christian Foundation for Children and the Aging and I highly recommend anyone who can sponsor through them to do so: they treat and look on the poor with a noble dignity that illustrates their true worth and their administrative costs are so low that I wonder how those who run it eat. And you are able to write letters and exchange pictures etc. with whomever is sponsored! It is real Christians (Catholic) who run it and I have never worried that they waste or use poorly the funds they gratefully receive. I highly recommend anyone who can to sponsor and hope you enjoy Honduras with some good java to boot Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, bless you, that is wonderful that you've had contact with Unbound. I've been bowled over to have been invited on this trip and to have an opportunity to meet the people of Honduras and to see how the organization works. I'm going as a member of the press--they're inviting us to see how the whole thing works and to write about it. For a variety of reasons, this gift and invitation to open my eyes and heart yet wider couldn't have come at a better time. My sense is that it will be just the challenge to stretch that I need.

      Thank you so much for your ongoing support, comments, patience, perseverance and goodwill. Wishing you a beautiful Christmas and your own adventures in 2015.

      Delete

I WELCOME your comments!!!