Thursday, November 6, 2014

THE MOMENT OF RECONCILIATION


SUNSET AND ALVARADO,
ECHO PARK, L.A.
THAT RECTANGULAR SIGN, UPPERMOST RIGHT,
MEMORIALIZES THIS STRETCH AS PART OF THE OLD ROUTE 66

When I first became a Catholic, I often went to Mass at St. Basil's where, before Mass, together we'd pray the Angelus, followed by the Morning Offering:

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer You my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world. I offer them for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart, the salvation of souls, the  reparation for sin, the reunion of all Christians. I offer them for the intentions of all the apostles of prayer and in particular for those recommended by our Holy Father for this month of fill in the blank.

Slowly I memorized the Angelus and the Morning Offering. I found by the time I'd gotten out of bed and made coffee I'd already undergone a universe of "joys, sufferings, prayers and works." And ever since I've loved checking out the Holy Father's prayer intentions at the beginning of each month so I can remember them in my morning prayer throughout.

For the month of November, 2014, those are:

Lonely people. That all who suffer loneliness may experience the closeness of God and the support of others.

Mentors of seminarians and religious. That young seminarians and religious may have wise and well-formed mentors.

Somehow the two seem connected.




Anna Kamienska (1920-1986) was a Polish poet, writer and translator. Her poems "touch on Jewish culture, and the loss of Jewish and Yiddish culture from Poland as a result of the Holocaust." After the death of her husband in 1967, she turned to Christianity.

THE MOMENT OF RECONCILIATION

Take in your hand the gray wafer of day
for the moment of reconciliation has arrived

Let there be reconciled
apple with knife

tree with fire

day with night

laughter with sobbing

nothingness with body

Let there be reconciled

loneliness with loneliness

--Anna Kamienska, from Astonishments, trans. Grazyna Drabik and David Curzon

RANDOM SHOT OUT CAR WINDOW FURTHER DOWN SUNSET
IS THAT HAIR?

2 comments:

  1. As a discerning seminarian, Heather, I thank you for this reflection and for your prayers. God be good to you today and always! Much love from Wilmington, Del.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we can often experience a deep loneliness even when surrounded by family and friends because we so desire to be more connected to God, to have others understand us and acknowledge us. Audrey Assad sings a song that expresses that very thing called "I Shall Not Want" that's been stuck in my head for months. Thank you for your thoughts Heather and the picture! :)

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!