Monday, November 10, 2014

SELF-PUBLISHING COUP





Loyola Press has bought my most recent book. You know it (or not) as STRIPPED: Cancer, Culture and the Cloud of Unknowing.

Several months ago I rec'd an out-of-the-blue email from Joe Durepos and darned if the team there didn't read and like the book. And so they have bought it!

And will no doubt re-title it, do some light editing, give it a new cover, and bring it out in the not too far distant future.

Which means when I become famous and/or get canonized the original version, published by Holy Hell Books (that's me) through createspace will be a collector's item. So get 'em while they last!

No, seriously, all those hours spent hiring a designer, proof-reading, editing galleys, getting the thing formatted for ebook have paid off. They'd paid off already, as my goal was always simply to get the book "out there." But for those who for whatever reason have chosen to self-publish, I hope this is a little piece of encouragement. Cause once it is out there, you never know who's going to see it, and respond.

Personally I think St. Ignatius arranged the whole thing as recompense for the Lyme Disease I contracted while doing the 30-day Exercises last summer.

Thank you, Joe D. and Tom McGrath. Thank you, Loyola Press.

12 comments:

  1. Praise Jesus Christ Heather! I am so-o-o happy for you, and will buy your book from Ignatius Press as soon as you blog that it is available. Lyme's Disease was a blessing! Makes me remember what Brother Joseph, in Albuquerque said, but attributed to someone else, "God comes to us disguised as our life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurray for you! I do enjoy reading your contributions in Magnificat. May God continue to bless your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That Joe D. fellow is pretty discerning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for God! Hurray for you! This news makes me sooooo happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I'm so pleased for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Heather this is awesome news. I am so happy for you . I had better get that original copy asap! The Lord is good in everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was waiting for somebody to get it for me for Christmas, but decided to buy it for myself today in order to get the original cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. W00T!

    Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, I love this! Congratulations, Heather. This is great news!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! (Do I hear anyone bidding for my copy of the original?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great news! Congratulations! I have read and loved all of your books but "Stripped" is my favorite so far and I'm happy that I have my very own copy with original cover. "Redeemed" comes in a close second. :) Peace and all good,
    bren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the good wishes, all! Very exciting...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!