Wednesday, November 12, 2014

CONCEPTION ABBEY: HAVE YOU BEEN IN LOVE?

 
Twenty-five years [after photographer Minor White made his "pilgrimage" to see Alfred Stieglitz], White could recall only in the most general terms what took place in those meetings--they looked at prints, they talked about what was happening in photography and modern art--but one of his journals reveals what made the deepest impression on him. Stieglitz asked him, "Have you been in love?" And when White answered that yes, he had, Stieglitz said, "Then you can photograph."

--From Aperture, No. 80, "Minor White: Rites and Passages. His Photographs Accompanied by Excerpts from His Diaries and Letters, Biographical Essay by James Baker Hall," p. 16


OUTSIDE CONCEPTION ABBEY
CONCEPTION, MISSOURI
WITH THE TREES BARE, YOU CAN SEE MANY ABANDONED NESTS.
VERY BEAUTIFUL HERE. FREEZING COLD.
WARM HEARTS IN THE MONKS AND SEMINARIANS.

2 comments:

  1. When I was young and serious about my music (as serious as anyone can be in high school), my very wise piano teacher said these words to me: "You will not be able to play Chopin properly until you have had your heart broken." Your lovely post today reminded me of that... In my youth, I just shrugged and kept on practicing blithely. Now that I am older and have had my heart broken, I see the true wisdom in those words. A sensitivity that can only be acquired by heartbreak is necessary when making one's way through a Chopin etude. I do indeed still play the piano, and am glad to say that my heart has been mended, tenderly, through the mercy and love of our God. The Eucharist brings such healing. Chopin still needs to be played with wisdom and maturity, but now I can add love - deep, abiding love. And for that I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful, thank you...I love the nocturnes.

      Delete

I WELCOME your comments!!!