Sunday, November 2, 2014

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

MARIA CALLAS
"I would not kill my enemies,
but I will make them get down on their knees.
 I will, I can, I must."

This week's arts and culture column is about the opera I'll be attending Thursday evening at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in downtown L.A..

Here's how it begins:

"I’m enthralled by the late singer Maria Callas — her voice, her life. I also have a thing for the somewhat obscure German contralto Emmi Leisner (1885-1958). But perhaps like many of us, I’ve always thought of opera as a high-brow version of the musical, which, with the exception of Fred Astaire movies, I pretty much can’t stand.

But the real deal, I have to admit, is I’m cowed by opera: I’m afraid I don’t know enough about music to 'get' it.

That was before I went to a recent luncheon talk given by the Australian theater and opera director Barrie Kosky, who made his U.S. debut last year at the L.A. opera with Mozart’s “The Magic Flute.” He’s back again this season with a double bill: Henry Purcell’s “Dido and Aeneas” (1689), and Béla Bartók’s “Bluebeard’s Castle” (1911)."

READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.

And down on your knees!!




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your winter morning routine. Somewhat similar to mine after turning 50+ but less virtuous. Your posts are as uplifting as a donut and coffee on the beach in winter (which I'm deprived of here in Rome!). They've opened up new horizons and enriched my life tremendously, culturally and faithfully. Love and prayers, ex-pat from So.Cal.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!