Friday, October 3, 2014

JOAN OF ARC, VOICES OF LIGHT AND COMPOSER RICHARD EINHORN




This week's art and culture piece in on an event, forthcoming from the LA Master Chorale on October 19: Joan of Arc, Voices of Light, and Composer Richard Einhorn.

Above is part of the torture chamber scene from the 1928 Carl Theodor Dreyer film The Passion of Joan of Arc, considered by many to be one of the greatest ten movies ever made. You can read more about Voices of Light, the piece Einhorn composed to accompany the film, here.

Richard (as I now think of him) lives in NYC. A few weeks ago I got to interview him by phone about the piece. He was generous, enthused, and profoundly modest, deferring to the genius of Dreyer's film and insisting he had lucked out by finding a brilliant "collaborator."

READ THE INTERVIEW AND MORE ABOUT VOICES OF LIGHT HERE.

4 comments:

  1. I don't live anywhere near LA, but I love your pieces for The Tidings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've watched the silent film with the Einhorn chorale as the soundtrack. It is heart-breaking, and beautiful. I owned the recording of the music years before I saw the film. Haunting....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dreyer's Joan is such a powerful film, incredibly moving. And Einhorn's score is beautiful. Thanks for the interview with him; it was great to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definitely one of the best movies I've ever seen, and when I saw it I was already prejudiced against silent movies -because I'd never seen one- thinking real meaning couldn't be conveyed without words!!!Can't wait to hear Einhorn's score first chance possible

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!