Monday, September 8, 2014

THE DESERT IN THE CITY


WALKING UP  THE HILL TO THE GETTY CENTER,
BRENTWOOD, LA
YOU CAN TAKE THE TRAM BUT I LOVE
THE ANTICIPATION, SMELLS, AND WORK OF THE WALK



"I shall tell you something else which is very important for busy people like you who say they have no time to pray.

Try to look at the reality in which you live--your work, your commitments, your relationships, your meetings, your walks, the shopping, the newspapers, the children--as a single whole from whcih you cannot disengage yourself, a whole which you have to think about.

I shall say more: a whole by means of which God speaks to you and through which He guides you.

So it is not by fleeing that you will find God more easily, but it is by changing your heart that you will see things differently.

The desert in the city is only possible on these terms: that you see things with a new eye, touch them with a new spirit, love them with a new heart."

*****

"I know you've got a question to ask me and I know what it is.

You want to know why the innocent have to suffer, why the poor have to suffer, why the Just Man had to die

I used not to know the reason for these things.

When I discovered the reason it was Christ Himself who told me.

You ask Him this evening; He will tell you

And perhaps He will add the phrase which meant so much to me when He was explaining that universal salvation depends on the vocation of some to pay for all.

'You shall not escape from love.'

If in the Kingdom we ask the innocent who suffered for sinners, the poor who paid for the rich, the tortured who shed blood for the powerful, whether it is just or mistaken to pay so dear, we shall hear them tell us:

'It was necessary so that no-one might escape from Love.' "

--Carlo CarrettoThe Desert in the City




THE GROUNDS AND GARDENS,
GETTY CENTER

1 comment:

  1. It is difficult to explain what takes place in the soul since I gave myself totally to Him. Without reserve, without conditions, accepting the crappy sufferings (my phrase, not His!) He sends. And yes, I think He sends them on top of, beyond allowing them. He sends them because He loves and knows that that is the best way I can love more:
    I heard an awesome version of The Fields of Atherny, by the Dubliners on YouTube recently. I like it so much that when I went to adoration last night, where I was alone with Him in the church, I pulled out my phone, pulled up the song on YouTube and played it for Him. I felt odd and even possibly irreverent even though there wasn't another living soul in the church at the time. Without a doubt, before I took my leave, He thanked me for sharing the song; nicely, naturally and very matter of fact He said thanks. And I think He wants me to be natural like that, without any judgment, with Him when I meet Him on the street and in the world, hiding inside so many people, the rich, the middle class, the poor, who have a hard time knowing Him in what Mother Theresa has called "the distressing disguise of Jesus in the poor".

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!