Sunday, September 28, 2014

IN PASSIONATE PURSUIT







We may know that God will not allow himself to be apprehended easily, but sometimes we forget the complimentary truth. Once he is known to some degree, he will not permit us to keep at a distance on limited terms, maintaining a prudential respect. He is a hidden God, but when he deigns to show himself, he demands afterward our passionate pursuit.

--Fr. Donald Haggerty, Contemplative Provocations


FROM THE NORTHWEST CORNER OF
BENTON AND BERKELEY IN SILVER LAKE L.A.
AT SUNDOWN
ON AN ORDINARY DAY OF THE WEEK.
.

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I have learned that it is difficult to find God, in many cases, in my neighbor. And it is something I love to try to do. Screwing up very often, if I'm to be honest -but I think our Lord honors my backwards attempts and things work to good because I love Him.

    But I have never really thought of God making Himself hard to find or catch by me...but of course! How often do I try to find Him where He isn't because the place where I look for Him is where I want to place Him? and not where He really IS? What a lover! I play hide and seek with my kids because they love it, they love me and they love the game. And to think our Lord has been playing this same game with me my whole life and I have just come to see it is so!

    Oh yes, run, hide Lord -I will try, and I will find You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't you have the sense when reading Contemplative Provocations that it sounds like a classic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mr. Fr. P, I do--and I wonder who gave it to me?!...One of those books you can dip into at random and every page has a gem. Thanks so much.

      Delete

I WELCOME your comments!!!