Monday, September 1, 2014

HAPPY LABOR DAY: LOST IN THE COSMOS


"Why is it that in your entire lifetime you will never be able to size yourself up as you size up someone else--or size up Saturn--in a ten-second look?

Why is it that the look of another person looking at you is different from everything else in the Cosmos? That is to say, looking at lions or tigers or Saturn or the Ring Nebula or at an owl or at another person from the side is one thing, but finding yourself looking into the eyes of another person looking at you is something else. And why is it that one can look at a lion or a planet or an owl or at someone's finger as long as one pleases, but looking into the eyes of another person is, if prolonged past a second, a perilous affair?

--Walker Percy, Lost in the Cosmos. p. 8

LOOKING WEST, FROM THE SILVER LAKE BRANCH LIBRARY
READ AN ARTICLE IN HARPER'S ABOUT CULTS
ASIAN PEARS, SILVER LAKE FARMER'S MARKET
BOUGHT SOME OF THE LAST OF THE FLAVOR ROYAL PLUOTS
FALLEN LEAVES, NORTH BENTON STREET
WALKED. AVOIDED ALL HUMANS.

2 comments:

  1. I miss Walker Percy. I loved the episode in Lost in the Cosmos about the Phil Donahue show. People forget just how outrageously rude and stupid entertainment has become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently had some very difficult things happen in my life. Because of this I've been forced to look deeply into my children's eyes. This has led to the discovery that I am terrible at eye contact in general. But as I work on this, I notice an ocean of beauty behind so many people's look. Fat people, good looking people, people who look like they have had a terribly hard life etc. And now I see a potential for beauty in people I would not have even considered worth talking to a year ago, much less 10 years ago. I've now experienced that the eyes really are the windows to the soul, as cliché as that sounds.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!