Friday, August 22, 2014

THE SECRET STAIRS OF SILVER LAKE AND ECHO PARK


SECRET STAIRWAY
MICHELTORENA, NORTH OF SUNSET BOULEVARD
This week Chas Fleming, walking guru from our very own Silver Lake, tells the story of falling in love with LA through exploring and mapping its secret staircases. 

Here's how he starts:

“My first exposure to the staircases was as a kid in Pacific Palisades. My family had moved there from the South in 1966 when I was 10. Surfing, skateboarding, everything I’d seen on TV. And these public staircases I now know were built during the Depression. So my first exposure to the stairs was as a kid using them as they were designed to be used, which was as a way to cut down or up the hill to the beach.

“I never thought about them again till decades later when we were living in Silver Lake.

Read the piece and about his book HERE: Secret Stairs: A Guide to the Historic Staircases of Los Angeles.

1 comment:

  1. You're really starting to get to me Heather. -I really like those fuchsia flowers over the staircase! Colorado Springs has a ton of natural beauty but is culturally rather poor. A city built by gold money mined from Cripple Creek over 100 years ago. There is a joke that our town is wonder-bread-white (racially) and is basically just a huge depot for the military industrial complex. Thank God we have an awesome Bishop!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!