Monday, August 11, 2014

AT LAST

VERMONT HERON

 I am back home and let's just say that was a looonnng seven weeks.

Here was a typical conversation. Other Person: "Where are you from?" Me, brightly: "I'm visiting from L.A." Other Person: Visible shudder. Like "Oh, we thought you were spiritual. We thought you were one of us."

At first I laughed it off but by the end, when I'd run out of reading material, lost my psalter, had no  cell reception, no wifi and found myself "on retreat" in a HOUSE with THREE OTHER PEOPLE I started narrowing my eyes, braying "I love L.A.," and adding, "There's a reason TEN MILLION people live there. I always feel folks who can't understand that Los Angeles is beautiful have some kind of SEVERELY DEFECTIVE VISION"...

I sincerely loved Vermont (a special thanks to Altoon Sultan for our splendid afternoon together) and--call me shallow--I also cannot possibly describe how happy I am to be back in my room with a plate of fresh peaches, figs, raspberries, blueberries, and St. Andre cheese; iced coffee MY WAY;  a pile of back New Yorkers, a stack of books fresh from the library, and netflix.

My sleep cycle is off and last night at 2 I watched the excellent Harry Dean Stanton: Partly Fiction. Now I'm on to Afternoon of a Faun: Tanaquil le Clercq (gorgeous ballerina who got polio, never danced again, and lived till 71).

The best part of my trip was seeing my family.

Here are some shots of the last night in sublime Weston, VT. A thousand thanks to all the many, many people who welcomed, counseled, consoled, fed, and sheltered me along the way.








12 comments:

  1. ... and the City of the Angels breathes a sigh of relief at your home-coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m with you on LA. I used to hate it also but once I spent some real time there, and learned to drive the LA way—for a three year period I spent four days a week there serving clients—I finally discovered why LA is so loved by so many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I love to travel, I always get homesick for the things I know well like family, the mountains and the tabernacle of my parish.

    I have a brother who lives in Pasadena (his wife used to dance for the San Fran ballet) and loves LA. We argue whether Colorado or California is better. He's tough to wrestle with.... I'm glad you're back safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if I had been faced with such a rude remark about my home and the implication that I was not "one of them", I'm not sure that I could have replied with a Christian response. I would not mind living where you do, but I did not plan well for retirement having been a Catholic school teacher, I could not afford it. But living in Indiana offers me close proximity to my family and that's worth more than any money could buy.
    I am glad to see you are back safely. oh, yes, I would miss Magnificat, and...reading articles by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that was actually stated...but I'm from Colorado which recently legalized pot even for recreational use. Now when I tell people from out of state where I live, I do get the comments and looks, like "are you a pothead abuser too?" That is annoying!

      Delete
  5. Your reference to iced coffee MY WAY reminded me of this camp classic, which I shall someday savor . . .

    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The City of Angels is glad to have one of its own (an angel) back home. Me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your back! The best part about going away is getting back home. I know what you mean about the shudder when you mention L.A. I was born in San Francisco and moved south when I was nine years old. When I told my friends mother that we were moving to L.A. she said, "Oh my! Why would your parents move to such an awful city like Los Angleez! I'm sure they won't want to stay long dear."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I've always thought LA was beautiful, of for no other reason than the fantastic quality of light there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Catholicism and Los Angeles are the two things it's still politically correct to mercilessly slam. Simply courtesy would seem to dictate keeping negative opinions about another's hometown to oneself. What makes the criticism extra galling is that most of the people who "hate" LA have never been there. They see it on the TV they watch for many hours a day (and that I myself, living in Hollywood, view as the anti-Christ). But I'm sounding bitter...It's really sadness that people are so blind or so lazy that they're asleep to the beauty that lies right outside their doorsteps, wherever they are...

    Better to focus on...yes, the light! I got some photos this morning...there's a morning hour that's a counterpart to the "magic hour" of late afternoon....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite thing in LA is the place, right in the middle of the city, where they found all the sabre tooth tigers and other long extinct dinosaur type creatures! And there are still bubbling pools of mud that are quite active. We were there almost 3 years ago and my oldest kids still ask me to take them back there. It's like this ancient animal wonderland in the middle of this thriving Metropolis.

      Delete
    2. Oh, many people also find it perfectly ok to slam Texas. And the mid-west. And the South. Even though they have never been anywhere near those places except to fly over them. I was home-ported in Long Beach, 46 years ago. I appreciate LA, but I like my native Texas more.

      Appreciated your photo of the Great Blue Heron. We have a little pond near us that attracts so many different species of birds - Great Blues, Least Herons, two or three kinds of kingfishers, Coots, Canada Geese... it would be a really long list if I named them all.

      Delete

I WELCOME your comments!!!