Saturday, April 19, 2014

RESURRECTION MORNING


Artist Maureen White, who comprises the whole of my (Helena) Montana fan club, hand-painted these gorgeous wooden Easter eggs and sent them to me as a gift. They arrived in the mail Saturday, each individually wrapped, taped, and nestled in a bed of shredded grass-green paper. In the accompanying card, she suggested I might want to give one away and immediately I thought NO WAY. I am keeping them all... 

You can see more of Maureen's work at urbanpasturesart.com.

Holy Week always wears me out, in a good way, as it's designed to do. This year I thought Why not observe it, instead of writing about observing it, and have kept online activity to a minimum. 

So I went to Mass every day, and hung out with lots of fellow sober drunks for an hour or so every day, and more and more I see it (whatever "it" is) is all about coming alive. It's about our hearts being broken open and getting a kick out of each other and giving ourselves a break. Period. 

Oh wait, it's also about lettuce green and matte gold and madonna blue and blood red, about stars and lilies and lambs and pain deep beyond words and anxiety unto death and "allelulia" written in shiny dark blue paint edged with gold on the side of a wooden egg. And a card that says, "Thank you. Thank you for writing about God, mystery, faith, laughs, and a lot of other things."


THE LIGHTING OF THE PASCHAL CANDLE
DOWNTOWN L.A. CATHEDRAL, EASTER VIGIL



MORE SCENES FROM THE CATHEDRAL

TRADER JOE'S
DARK CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CUP.
HE IS RISEN.

5 comments:

  1. He is Risen indeed-Alleluia! Easter Blessings to you-definitely shoot for living to 90 at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. P got a little teary as he used some of your words in this morning's Mass. Thank you, beautiful person. Next Easter it'll be my turn to become catholic. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Easter and thank you for writing your blog and your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Heather, first of all Happy Easter! Secondly, I hope your appointment with the ophthamologist is today- symptom you describe could be retinal detachment- treatable if caught early. God bless you for all you do! You are a truly gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Easter gals! Whoa...that Holy Week really took it out of me! I'm seeing the opthalmologist Fri. Will report back. Thanks so much for all the good wishes...

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!