Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A GREAT FAINT SOUND OF BREAKERS





SEA FOAM.
SPEND ENOUGH TIME BY YOURSELF AND THE BREAKING OF
EVEN A SMALL WAVE BECOMES HIGHLY THRILLING


“A great faint sound of breakers follows you high up into the inland canons; the roar of water dwells in the clean, empty rooms of Monterey as in a shell upon the chimney; go where you will, you have but to pause and listen to hear the voice of the Pacific.”

 “You follow winding sandy tracks that lead nowhither. You see a deer; a multitude of quail arises. But the sound of the sea still follows you as you advance, like that of wind among the trees, only harsher and stranger to the ear; and when at length you gain the summit, out breaks on every hand and with freshened vigour that same unending, distant, whispering rumble of the ocean; for now you are on the top of Monterey peninsula, and the noise no longer only mounts to you from behind along the beach towards Santa Cruz, but from your right also, round by Chinatown and Pinos lighthouse, and from down before you to the mouth of the Carmello river. The whole woodland is begirt with thundering surges."

--Robert Louis Stevenson, from “The Old Capitol”




THIS WEEK'S MYSTERY FLOWER...
SOLVED!
THIS IS A LEUCADENDRON DISCOLOR 'POM POM' - POM-POM FLAME TIPS.




5 comments:

  1. Nice photos. I was in Capitola a couple of times way back in the 1970s. Charming place. I mostly remember that everything looked diminutive, doll-house like. Is it still like that?

    I've been remiss in following your ALETEIA column, so thanks for the reminder. Just read your latest--wow, it's simply perfect.

    In the one before that, your third one, this leapt out at me: "I am very, very choosy about what I watch, read, look at, and listen to, not because I’m afraid I might be corrupted, but because I don’t want to be bored."

    Maybe every now and then you could let us know what you're reading? A guidance for me that would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lydia, I often post excerpts from what I'm reading. Just finished Contemplative Provocations by Fr. Donald Haggerty and am reading a novel by Edwin O'Connor called The Edge of Sadness. Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time. A bunch of books about Southern Cal. architecture...one thing leads to another...

      Delete
  2. Dear Heather: I was born and raised in California. My Dad and Mom retired to Oxnard on the central coast. When I left California, the sound of the ocean was the only thing that kept me sane. Far, far away from the beautiful water and mountains to a flat, flat, flat prairie. Groan!! I have, of course, gotten used to my life here in Texas, having lived here for over 40 years. When I go home to visit family, I can barely stand to leave. The ocean calls you more than anything I've ever experienced. It is afterall a spiritual calling, the sound and color and mystery of the deep. I have the woods here in East Texas with beautiful cedars, oaks and cardinals and pines and the breathtaking sunsets, but truly there is NOTHING to compare to the ocean. Thank for these beautiful and wonderful pictures. The Bird of Paradise and the ice plant are my favorite flowers in California. But of course then there are camillias and roses and yada yada yada, don't get me started! Blessing on your day, my dear. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I grew up in a town that bordered the Atlantic and for 24 years have lived in a town that borders the Pacific...I like being on the edge of a continent, makes me feel I can escape or fly or float away if things get too bad...spent my youth gazing out at the long horizon of the ocean which is another kind of prairie...I like the desert (and actual prairie and mountains and all kinds of other places), too. And even though I wouldn't want to move back permanently my deepest heart is always on what is surely one of the most beautiful places on earth, the short and still largely unspoiled coast of southern New Hampshire.

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of a Robinson Jeffers poem. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!