Tuesday, March 11, 2014

WEIGHTLESS YET STRONGER: SWIMMING STUDIES

photo: GEORGE SILK
FROM LIFE MAGAZINE, 1962

"A friend e-mails me a link to some photos he thinks I'll like. they are by George Silk, of fourteen-yea-old diver Kathy Flicker in Princeton University's Dillon Pool in March 1962. The black-and-white images have a spirit-photography quality; the water displaces Flicker's head, and refracts her body, inflating its size nightmarishly. What falls below the water's surface is free of our usual grasp of physics. The pictures achieve something rarely articulated about the metaphysical state of swimming. The body, immersed, feels amplified, heavier and lighter at the same time. Weightless yet stronger."
--Leanne Shapton, Swimming Studies 

2 comments:

  1. I love this! The image and the words. Thank you Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! The image and the words. Thank you Heather.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!