Sunday, March 16, 2014

MY NEW COLUMN AT ALETEIA



You all may or may not remember that back on the fateful day of THE PLEDGE DRIVE several weeks back, I mentioned that something had come over the transom that very day.

That thing was an invitation to write a weekly column for the online journal ALETEIA. And after much dickering, I have accepted. I'll appear each Tuesday and my first column launches tomorrow.

The column will be called WISE BLOOD: Prayer, Pilgrimage and Everyday Mysticism.

Wise Blood, of course, after the Flannery O'Connor novel. I like the implication that prayer is not some namby-pamby enterprise; no prosperity scheme. Prayer is rather a way of life that is designed to rip us apart and put us together again (still waiting for that part, personally) as something strange, unexpected and new.

Aleteia means "truth" in Greek. The journal is Catholic, headquartered in Rome, and hopes to reach all human beings, not just Catholics. That's always been my own aim.

Speaking of which, the last few months have been interesting. Lots of seeing myself in a clearer light, lots of acknowledging what really drives me.

Writing an original 800-word column every week will mean posting shorter pieces here, more excerpts from other people's work, more film, book, music recommendations. As always, the photos.

But I'm not going anywhere! And I'm struck by the way the subtitle of the Pledge Drive post was "Giving and Receiving." In opening myself to ask, I not only received more from you, I was invited to give more as well.

With great gratitude for your ongoing support, prayers and shared struggles...

RESIDUAL PIX FROM MY RECENT TIME IN PALM SPRINGS
THE LENTEN DESERT CONTINUES...





11 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, I went to the link, I gather you have not yet submitted anything for that site, as i typed in your name and nothing came up. Please won"t you post a link to the site each time one of your pieces appears there. Thanks - Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first column should be up tomorrow, Jane. I'll probably put a tab/page at the top of the blog with links to the most recent pieces. Thankee!

      Delete
  2. Heather, a small group of pilgrims (Catholic writers) and I will be traveling to Flannery's final home in Milledgeville, Ga., this summer, so seeing that "Wise Blood" is your column's title made me eager to read it! I definitely see a little of Flannery in you. I'm glad to hear of this opportunity. I write a weekly column too and had to make cuts in other areas when it started in order to find that flow and energy. We must constantly be evaluating such things. You're doing the right thing. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I have got to get to Andalusia one of these days myself. I'm in touch with Mark Jurgensen,
      Visitor Services Manager there--tell him I said hi if he's there. Also I would so go to Mass at Flannery's old church if I pilgrimaged there. Have a blast, Roxane!

      Delete
    2. Heather, will do! We plan to hang out in Andalusia for three full days. The rest of our journey will include some stays at surrounding monasteries, with our beginning point in Loretto, KY. I am hoping we'll make it to Flannery's church. I will bring you with us in spirit. :)

      Delete
  3. Love the name of the new column, Heather. In reference to Roxane's comment, I'm sad to report I'm no longer at Andalusia.
    - Mark Jurgensen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear it, Mark--though I hope you've moved on to greener pastures. And as always, long live Flannery....

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately, I'm not moving on to "greener pastures," but chose to leave because the new director and I had conflicting visions for the future of Andalusia. I am sorry I won't be there to show you Flannery's home when you are finally able to make your pilgrimage.
    - Mark Jurgensen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I would love to hear more, Mark, just so I can know a bit of the background and different visions. I think it would be of interest to our little pilgrimage as a whole if you'd be willing. My email: rbsalonen@cableone.net

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear it, Mark--good Lord.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!