Saturday, March 1, 2014

HOWLIN' WOLF



Oh man as you may have heard, it's been pouring buckets out here in Southern Cal. Good news, as we badly need it.

Anyway, I got out to Palm Springs Thursday around noon. It rained all day Friday and I spent the whole day lying on the couch with a stack of books and gazing out the sliding glass doors at the mist-shrouded mountains.

After dark, I came across my friend Christine's DVD The Howlin' Wolf Story. It was fantastic! Wolf was a stand-up, family-man guy who came from "meager" (his daughter's word) beginnings, ran a tight band, and paid his guys well, including unemployment insurance. His mother kicked him out at the age of 13 and would never speak to him again, including on his deathbed, because he played "the devil's music." I think it's the devil's work to turn your back on your own son!

There are some amazing clips of Wolf LICKING the neck of his guitar. Who-eee!! Here's his version of "Dust My Broom"...


1 comment:

  1. The Howlin' Wolf Story (2003) Wolf tells what he feels about getting drunk to a famous blues artist. The story is so true the director lets the good and bad come out.

    website

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!