Monday, February 10, 2014

THE ANSWERS WILL COME IF YOUR OWN HOUSE IS IN ORDER

MY FANCY NEW DUSTPAN AND BROOM

I don't know about you but I'll be going along, going along, working, doing errands, paying the bills, thinking my life is fairly manageable, and then every so often I'll come up for air and realize, one more time, that I've actually let huge parts of my life go!

Then I'll start "sorting" and next thing you know it's three weeks later and I've developed full-blown OCD. For example, recently it was borne in upon me that I stopped saving my posts as Word dox about two years ago. I'd just kept madly writing and posting, and writing and posting, and suddenly I realized, You should really be keeping track of this stuff.

So I spent hours and hours simply copying and pasting two years' worth of blog posts. During which I realized: You should really organize your photos in some way other than by date. And you should make sure all the favorite pix you've posted on your blog are saved in your Pictures library. So I spent hours and hours...

Then it was the journals, my personal journals, which date back to 1996. Years with up to 200 entries apiece. Which I suddenly realized no-one but no-one would need to see if I dropped dead tomorrow, not so much because they're private but because they were so unbelievably boring, whiny, juvenile, petty, and vindictive. I mean have a blog for that now.

So I spent hours and hours culling through the journals and the upshot was every year since 1996 now has about three entries of two to four lines apiece.

Then there were the Word files which  likewise benefited from a good pruning.

Simultaneously exhausted and energized, a new notion came to me: I will get my stuff from Brad's! 

Brad is my friend with a house in Lincoln Heights in whose basement any of my worldly belongings that aren't in my room have been stored since I moved from Koreatown to Silver Lake in January, 2010. Four years ago! I don't think of myself as a procrastinator, but there you go.

Turns out that seemingly tiny little Fiat of mine holds quite a bit of chattel. I hossed and wrestled massive amounts of boxes and baskets. I made two trips, hauled in, unpacked, sorted, dusted, and culled

Boy, did that all feel good. .

My next project, in the works, is for a bigger desk.


MY FILING SYSTEM

TCHOTCHKE LAND, EVERY CORNER

THE PRAYER CORNER

THE INCENSE CORNER

Let's hope I'm not in for Luke 11: 24-26:

"When an unclean spirit goes out of someone, it roams through arid regions searching for rest but, finding none, it says, 'I shall return to my home from which I came.'

But upon returning, it finds it swept clean and put in order.

Then it goes and brings back seven other spirits more wicked than itself who move in and dwell there, and the last condition of that person is worse than the first."

7 comments:

  1. New word for me: fugue, pronounced fyug. I think I have been in that state quite a few times as when I'm driving along and end up sitting at a red light looking around wondering "how the heck did I get here!". Things become so routine and automatic that you go through the motions without much thought. Good post!
    Peace,
    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather. Dear friend, you are okay. I promise you, you are okay. I am 70 yrs old now and when I retired (snickering!), I thought, okay, now I can get to the stuff I've been wanting to do forever. Yeah, right. That was 8 yrs ago. My husband opened a business; guess who gets to do the books! My hope for catechesis was put on hold until last year as I could never attend the meetings! One day last year I looked up and said, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!" We hired someone to come into the business and do books, write receipts, yada yada yada, and guess what? I still can't get it all together. The lapse between retirement and now has stacked unread books one on top of the other, saved emails to deal with, dust bunnies that I'm ashamed to admit I have and a bookcase that looks like the library got hit by a bomb!!

    Only through HIS grace do I get through this. Only by His grace do I survive the days and nights of angst and anxiety over what isn't getting done before I die. Your post comes at a very opportune time, as I have pledged to get it done and organized. My question to myself yesterday was this: "If I can have the discipline to have a prayer life (at least 1 hr, sometimes 2) each day, why can't I have the discipline to organize the rest of my life?"

    So here we go together, Heather, arm in arm, together we go through this maze of life and get it together, not only with each other but with every other person who visits here daily. I am praying for you each day. Thanks for your wonderful post! It really hit home for me today. Just as an aside, I was raised in Highland Park/Eagle Rock area and went to school in Pasadena. When you said Lincoln Heights, I smiled. God bless your day, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear Michelle--thanks for reminding me that is the thing about housecleaning. It's good as far as it goes, and all other things being equal, is a good thing...But I can never square MYSELF or my affairs away quite enough to make my life manageable without God...God bless your day, too!

      Delete
  3. I have noticed that household shakeups often precede spiritual gifts. Get ready! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been a long time reader and felt like commenting today because you mentioned Lincoln Heights. I was raised there for the first 18 years of life. My grandmother lives across the street from General Hospital. She's 98 and I visit her as often as I can. She is too tired and weak to make it to mass but watches it on TV daily. I think if you met Grandma Jesusita, you would love her and she would love you back. I hope to run into you on the streets of LH, Heather. That would be awesome! :)
    Rosie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie, my friend lives on Johnston, way up on top...love to you and your blessed Grandma Jesusita!

      Delete
  5. I grew up on Johnston street, right behind the Big Saver market off of Broadway. What was once an apartment building and my childhood home is now the market's parking lot, sad really. Still, the area is a good place to visit, although hard for me at times. In fact, I just returned from a meeting in the Heights. A small group of us are trying to keep "The Community Beacon", the local paper, in circulation. My brother will be contributing written pieces in its "religion/spirituality" section. I think I will contribute as well, but I'm not sure what the community would find interesting to read. It's all about content, content, and content. Anyway, thank you for keeping this site in circulation, Heather. I always look forward to reading your work. When I can afford to, I might even give a donation. Good night.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!