Tuesday, February 25, 2014

BEAUTIFUL LOSER


FEMME AU CAFÉ (ABSINTHE DRINKER),
OIL ON CANVAS, 73 X 54 CM, 
PABLO PICASSO, 1901-02,
HERMITAGE MUSEUM, SAINT PETERSBURG, RUSSIA

A reader recently wrote:

"The thing it took me a long time to realize is that yielding to the divine takes skill and mastery and, most of all, relentless practice.

Time was I put my heart and soul into giving God the reins only to find I was fooling myself and continuing to hold the reins as I always had.

Nobody told me that this was part of the process. As it happens, I kept trying to yield and now, yipeeee, I learn that I really am the ass people always told me I was.

You can't let Jesus take over until you realize that you're such a LOSER you need him to."

The very next morning, I came across this:

“Praying 'forgive my sins' is vague and nothing changes, but when I recognize the power of naming a defect and asking for its removal or of naming a quality and asking for its enhancement, then—and only then—does change take place.”

--As We Understood, Al-Anon Family Groups, p. 208



“WAIT FOR ME DADDY,” 
BY CLAUDE P. DETTLOFF
IN NEW WESTMINSTER, CANADA, OCTOBER 1, 1940

8 comments:

  1. Thank you, Heather. What a beautiful and insightful post. It is so helpful to me right now. I love "to stay awake means to be specific". And your thoughts about losing and letting go of self-reliance. I'm a tweaker of every situation from way back. I yearn for the freedom that comes with true surrender. I've experienced it from time to time, yet take back my will every time. Every time I wrap myself up in the chains of my self will and fear... Thanks. It always helps to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent piece. Very insightful. Some of it reminds me of A Course in Miracles.
    Keep writing!
    Thank you and many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not I who write, but autocorrect which writes through me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoever wrote it, thanks for the reflection!!

      Delete
    2. Heather,

      You're very welcome. Perhaps I could get you to respond to my latest??


      http://whatisthisthingcalledgod.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/dangerous-lies/

      Paul a.k.a. "Captain Catholic"

      Delete
  4. Oh, I wrote a long paragraph about me and me and my thoughts and then realized I was doing it again! :) GREAT article Heather! I needed this, particularly today.
    Pace e Bene
    brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. "May I become little more and more." I love that quote. It resonates with the comment that yielding takes "relentless practice"... and it resonates with this entire reflection. And it resonates with this very day for me. So very helpful. I'm fairly certain I will never turn my "entire" will over to God... it is one more way in which I am such a LOSER. I not only fail again and again, but sometimes I am in such delusion, I think I do a fine job on my own, thank you very much. Then I crash. But I read this post, re-read it, pondered it, and I am encouraged. Seriously encouraged. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Heather, for this crucial post, and to the person whose comment prompted it. The very first thing I realized while returning to the Catholic church via a Jesuit parish where we did some Ignatian exercises was how much I try to manage - iron-fistedly control, really - my image to other people. To the point where I panic when friends from different worlds collide. Fortunately, being married and having two kids does a lot to counteract this tendency of mine - your family knows you no matter what. But what I wasn't prepared for was how I would misuse spirituality to further control my image, even my image to myself. I mistook self-control for world-control. And of course this continues to happen up to this very minute. But this ability I have to corrupt a good thing, to utterly deceive myself, makes me all the more feel like I need a science of spirituality, steps, something concrete. I want craft. I want perfection - not my own idiosyncratic version of perfection, but a standard I share with others. Thank you and the people who shared here for pointing me in that direction.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!