Thursday, December 5, 2013

HEARSAY OF THE SOUL: WERNER HERZOG AT THE GETTY



I took myself to The Getty last Saturday.

The preferred method of travel up the hill is tram, but you can also walk.

SHADOW AND LIGHT
THE 405, TRAM LINE IN FOREGROUND

NEARING THE CREST

The highlight was Hearsay of the Soul, a Werner Herzog installation which consisted of sitting in a darkened room for 18 minutes while video of Hercules Seghers (Dutch, 1589-1638) paintings and cello-playing Ernst Riejseger (also Dutch, b. 1954) swept over the walls.

Featured as well was 19th c. German contralto Emmi Leisner singing Handel's Dank sei dir, Gott (Thanks be to Thee) (included on the soundtrack of Reijseger's "Requiem for a Dying Planet").




Let's just say good thing the room was dark.

Before leaving, I bought four Edweard Muybridge lenticular bookmarks at the museum store, which I plan to present to myself on Christmas morning.

HERCULES SEGHERS
DISTANT VIEW WITH BRANCH OF A PINE TREE, c. 1630


FROM THE TERRACE OF THE GETTY:
DISTANT VIEW OF THE PACIFIC

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Happy Advent Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to go to the Getty for some time now. If not for the art for the views. I saw a friend's photographs of a garden fountain there... beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!