Monday, September 2, 2013

WAR NEVER AGAIN! NEVER AGAIN WAR!

SCENES FROM MY ROOM
ST. MARTIN DE PORRES, PRAY FOR US...
 Before we add more fuel to the fire, and to “the endless and horrifying sequence of wars, conflicts, genocides and ‘ethic cleansings’ which have caused unspeakable suffering; millions and millions of victims, families and countries destroyed, an ocean of refugees, misery, hunger, disease, underdevelopment and the loss of immense resources,” – words of John Paul II – we ought to question the wisdom of a military strike in Syria and heed John Paul’s warning:

“The twentieth century bequeaths to us above all else a warning: wars are often the cause of further wars because they fuel deep hatreds, create situations of injustice and trample upon people’s dignity and rights… War is a defeat for humanity. Only in peace and through peace can respect for human dignity and its inalienable rights be guaranteed.”

--From a post by Scott Wright entitled "Syria: War is Still a Defeat for Humanity,"
on the website of Pax Christi USA

"Never has the use of violence brought peace in its wake. War begets war, violence begets violence"..."War never again! Never again war!"
--Pope Francis
HOLY MARY, MOTHER OF GOD, PRAY FOR US...
ST. THERESE OF LISIEUX, PRAY FOR US...

JESUS OUR SAVIOR, PRAY FOR US...

MARY, QUEEN OF PEACE, PRAY FOR US!
SACRED HEART OF JESUS, PRAY FOR US, 

10 comments:

  1. Amen amen amen. Prayer and fasting all the way and confessing my own violence time and time again so that God can pour his peace over me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rome is 9 hours ahead of us. So 19:00 to 24:00 = 7:00PM to 12:00 midnight in Rome or 10:00AM to 3:00PM in Los Angeles (PDST).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Michael, I'd thought of the time difference, so good to know. And yes, Lizzie! Confessing my own violence, over and over again is KEY. "Live to be forgotten that Christ may be remembered" as an email correspondent noted this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, we must pray and fast and remember the success the people of Nineveh had after warned by the Prophet Jonah. As a right wing conservative, I was the odd man out opposing the War in Iraq, but at least the left protested. Now, I see much of the left champing at the bit for war. Unlike Iraq in 2003, this has the potential to be a world war. In our sin blinded hubris, we cannot see that we could be humiliated. We must pray every day.

    On the bright side, I shall buy your book, I read the excerpts and it is wonderful, and beautiful. I thank God for your accepting his grace in your personal battles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I lean fairly strongly leftward, and I'm appalled by Obama's desire to strike Syria. Most of what I'm hearing from voices on the left is solidly against military intervention there. In this matter, the disappointment (hardly a strong enough word) with Obama on the left is severe. At least among ordinary Americans; how Democrats in Congress finally respond remains to be seen. (Then we have those on the right who think Obama isn't threatening enough intervention, like Sen. McCain. Lord have mercy.)

      I don't bring this up to argue with you. I trust that in this particular case, we both hope that I'm right about there being a broad and deep coalition of Americans from left and right who oppose Obama on this, and that he will realize it and respond appropriately. (And thanks for being that "odd man out" back in 2003.)

      But really, the topic of Heather's post is so great because it points to what is far beyond the machinations of politicians of left or right and all our scrambling to support or oppose them. Thank God for Pope Francis and his righteous call to prayer for peace.

      Delete
  5. I thought of you when I chanced upon this....

    http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/What-Pope-Francis-Carries-in-His-Briefcase.aspx

    And my comment about your wonderful post today is actually under yesterday's post. Still looking for a banner headline to show up in some publication! Keep up the Good Work, dear Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christ’s voice heard through Cistercian nuns in Syria http://communio.stblogs.org/index.php/2013/09/christs-voice-heard-through-cistercian-nuns-in-syria/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the article dear Heather. Here in Eastern Daylight Savings time it will be from 1PM through 6PM.

    Michael Demers, thanks for the link. I'd forgotten about this blog is my massive blog reduction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm new to your blog but not to your publications in The Sun. Thanks Heather for your Info on Pope Francis. I've been at my wits end over the President's statements. --Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for weighing in, folks. I feel such great hope and at the same time such great heaviness this week.,,

    I love that the Pope was reading a book on St. Therese of Lisieux, Mary Beth! Thanks for the great article.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!