Wednesday, August 14, 2013

THE REDWOOD ABBEY


I-5
TAKE THE 101 NEXT TIME
Welp, folks, I am kind of telling my big road trip backward but now that I have internet access again, here's the first part of my trip, north from L.A. with a stop just south of Santa Cruz in Aptos, thence up the next day to Our Lady of the Redwoods Abbey.





SEACLIFF BEACH,
APTOS CA
I WAS HOSTED BY THE LOVELY ANN BREILING AND HER MOTHER MARIE

...AND SITE OF A LARGE TRAFFIC JAM

FERN,
BRICELAND THORN ROAD,
WHITETHORN, CA

OUR LADY OF THE REDWOODS ABBEY
THE STARS AT NIGHT WERE SPECTACULAR

I spent six days at the abbey in silence. The first night I read an essay by a member of the USMC called "The Few, the Proud, the Chosen" in which I learned that Marines consider their rifle HUMAN and recite a creed to that effect. I spent the whole remaining time working on, beginning rather, an essay of my own that ran to fourteen (VERY rough) pages when I left.

PATH LEADING TO MEADOW
MEADOW WITH CHAIR UNDER TREE

GRASS




PLENTY TO PONDER IN A THISTLE 

WILD TURKEYS EVERYWHERE
DEER AS WELL
NOT AT ALL SKITTISH
YOU COULD COME CLOSE AND STUDY THE FAWNS



EARLY MORNING



MANZANITA (?)


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo-story. Enjoy your trip. Thanks for sharing it thus far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love these photos. Thanks so much for sharing them.
    "...for beauty is God's handwriting."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos are so peaceful. Love them.

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!