Saturday, July 6, 2013

ROMAN FEVER

ST. MATTHEW AND THE ANGEL
GUIDO RENI
My friends Donald and Alan, the chicken owners for whom I house-sat during the last part of July, are back from Rome. They brought me this super-cool journal from the Musei Vaticani gift store. Apparently the angel is dictating to St. Matthew the words of the Gospel...

Also, I got to view their stupendous slide show, including pix of the Colosseum.

Which provides a perfect opportunity to introduce, or re-introduce if you already know it, the Edith Wharton short story "Roman Fever." It has one of the most killer last lines ever, so save the wiki entry till after.

Here's the story.


2 comments:

  1. "Apparently the angel is dictating to St. Matthew the words of the Gospel...This very much resembles the scene at my own desk each day." HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the belly laugh, dear Heather! I haven't read the story yet, but this gem from you was the best "funny" I've read all day. Still, there must a little angel perched on your shoulder directing you somehow to all these wonderful posts on so many topics. Rich, good things, always.
    Keep writing what you hear!
    Love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I WELCOME your comments!!!