Saturday, July 27, 2013

OLD TERROR, NEW HEARTS



CREPE MYRTLES,
MONMOUTH PLANTATION,
NATCHEZ, MISSISSIPPI
Barry Hannah's essay "Old Terror, New Hearts" features the residents and caretakers at the leper colony in Carville, Lousiana.

Here's the first paragraph.

It was a massive Federalist plantation, lazy and handsome among two-century oaks and palm trees. You could imagine FDR had just visited to cut a ribbon last week. I had heard throughout my life the curious rumor of a leper "colony" down in south Louisiana. This news reached me when I was a boy in Clinton, Mississippi, and one did not know quite what to do with it. Colony evoked folks lost in an exotic fastness. Leper of course was as bad as it got, poor devils. I had a sense of these creatures execrated and driven onto some isle in a vicious swamp. In that, my young imagination was not far wrong. Louisiana was alarming and peculiar anyway. There were plenty of Catholics, many seemed touched by at least mild cases of voodoo, and adults went public with their gaudiest dreams.

Read the rest here





No comments:

Post a Comment

I WELCOME your comments!!!